Tuesday, November 22, 2011

More stuff removed

Spent a couple hours in the garage this afternoon and removed the steering wheel/column/box as well as most of the wiring.  All the firewall wiring is off as well as everything under the dashboard.  Ran into something I wasn't prepared for however.  All the cars I've previously worked on had the wires leading to the rear of the car running in a channel along the driver's side of the floor.  A cover of some kind was then attached to conceal the wires.  The 41 surprised me as I found a group of wires going into the bulkhead next to the dashboard and running up the A pillar to the interior roof of the car.  Those wire then exit in the trunk right behind the seat on the driver's side.  At that point, they split and run to the lights on both sides and to the fuel gauge sending unit in the gas tank.  I don't know if/how those wires are attached in the roof.  I may have to remove the headliner to access any retention straps or clamps.  I sure hope not.  Here's a couple pics of the steering box/column/wheel removed.


I was also able to remove the radio, dimmer switch and turn signals.  The brake master cylinder and brake line to the rear is next along with the wiring to the master cylinder.  Then it's clean the dirt and grease from the frame horns and get a fresh coat of paint on them.  Wife and I are heading to Chicago for the next three days for a little Thanksgiving R&R.  I'll be back to work on Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment