Monday, August 6, 2012

Somebody was smiling

     My wife went with me yesterday to a car show at Klackle's Orchards in Greenville, Mi.  As we were riding along, I told her how much I enjoyed driving the 41 and how much better it handles and stops than it did last year.  She agreed and said, "Somewhere up above, the old guy that owned this car is looking down and smiling because this car is being driven by someone that enjoys it."  "Yes," I added, "and other people get to see it too!"
     So, we get to the show and while we were sitting in the shade of our canopy, chatting with friends, Cathie went to the car to retrieve something from the glove box.  She was sitting in the passenger seat with the door propped open when two guys and a young boy walked up to the car.  One of the guys said to Cathie, "Did you buy this car from a guy on Leonard Street?"  "Yes, we did,"  she said.  Whereupon the guy said, "From Dennis K?"  "Yes, from Dennis," she responded.  "My father-in-law used to own this car!", was his response.  Cathie then called me to the car and I had a great chat with Tom and his brother Larry about how the transaction came about and how we ended up with the 41.  Tom then informed me that his wife, the daughter of the former owner, was coming to the show later in the day.  Tom & Larry both had cars entered in the show and she was coming to join them.
     Tom also confirmed my suspicions on the origins of my 41.  His father-in-law, Barry Tate, had bought the car in 1990 from the then manager of the Mr. Steak/Shelde's Restaurants in Grand Rapids.  That fella had purchased the car from a restored car dealer in Hudsonville, Mi in 1988 and drove it for a couple years.  The dealer had acquired the car through an auction in Missouri in 1988.  I believe the auction was in Branson, Mo.  Tom confirmed that Barry had always said this was a Missouri car. 

     When Tom's wife Bonnie arrived, we had a chance to learn more about the car and she sat in the driver's seat for a bit.  Both Bonnie and Tom agreed that Barry, her dad, would not have liked the improvements I have made because he was a "purist".  Barry liked his cars all original.  But they both added that they really liked the changes and thought the car looked great.  I took a picture of Bonnie and Tom in front of the 41.



    Bonnie used some of her inheritance money to buy Tom a car just like he had owned previously but had to sell in order to buy a house.  She surprised him for his 50th birthday with a 1969 Camaro SS.  That's the car Tom had at the show and he won a Top 60 award. 
     The 41 garnered enough votes for a Top 60 as did the other Road Rodz in attendance.


     Was it coincidence that Cathie and I had earlier talked about the previous owner looking down and then his daughter shows up?  Maybe ol' Barry Tate was looking down and smiling after all.  He may have preferred to keep his cars in original condition but I think he let us know he approved of what we have accomplished with the 41.   Keep watching over us, Barry.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment