Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another weekend - another update!

Spent part of Friday at More Power making the mounting tabs for the rear shocks.  Dick welded the tabs to the rear shock crossmember and it turned out looking pretty good.  Later in the afternoon, the finished piece got a coat of primer.  Tom at Maksim's loaned me an air impact chisel and punch to use for the weekend to knock the rivets out of the transmission crossmember.  Sure glad I have safety goggles and ear plugs cuz the noise and dirt falling out of the frame could have done some damage!  My arms ached on Sat so I only managed to get a finish coat of flat black paint on the rear shock cross member.  Baby sitting our grandson, a computer housecall and out to dinner with Butch and Jan pretty much filled up the Saturday. Sunday afternoon, I went back to work.   Here's the finished rear shock crossmember.

And here it is mounted in the car.


Here's the new transmission crossmember next to the stock piece.


And here it is installed temporarily in the car; rear and front views.



This unit was purchased from Street Rod Headquarters which is a part of Chevies of the 40's.  It was designed for using an automatic in a 41 Chevy but I'm hoping the trans mount can be made to work with the T5 also.  Once the rear suspension was all back together, I reinstalled the stock tires and set the car on the floor.  The rear tires are centered in the wheel wells quite nicely now.



I cleaned and painted more parts Sunday and sanded the surface of the flywheel and pressure plate.  When I test fit the new S10 clutch disc to the pressure plate, I discovered that the inner spring area is too big to fit inside the pressure plate.  I'll talk to Dick tomorrow and see if some lathe work can open up the clearances a bit.  Got all the threaded holes in the bell housing tapped out to clean the threads and mounted the foot starter rod assembly so it can be painted prior to installation.  Mitch had some discarded welding cables he intends to salvage for copper scrap so I asked if I could have a piece to make a new positive cable to run from the starter to the battery.  The one on the car was intended for a 12 volt system.  6 volt starters draw quite a bit more amps so the 1/0 welding cable will be perfect.  Found a piece with a connector already installed so now all I need is a battery terminal.   Also put a coat of primer on the transmission crossmember.  The weather forecast is calling for some warmer temps this coming weekend and I'm hoping to get the engine here and have Mitch help me install the engine on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment