Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Change of direction

Been a while since I updated the blog and much has happened since the last post.  All the parts I ordered the Monday after Thanksgiving arrived two days later.  Step one was unpack everything and check that the orders were complete.


Next was test fitting the crossmember and the control arms on one side to check the wheelbase.  The radiator support is also installed but I discovered later that it is positioned wrong.  It will be back a bit.


The wheelbase checked out perfect so the next step was installing the engine with bell housing and see how the front mounts would line up. 




It became quickly apparent that different side engine mounts would need to be fabricated as the front mount sits directly over the rack and pinion.  I ordered the universal frame mounts from Chassis Engineering and found several examples/pictures of how other guys had fabricated the mount that bolts to the side of the block.   Before cleaning the frame rails for paint, I needed to remove the stock brake master cylinder from under the driver's floor area.  The clutch and brake pedals pivot off the stock master cylinder so I had also ordered a special bracket that will attach the stock pedals and allow using a new dual master cylinder designed for a Mustang.  Here's the stock configuration.  These pics will help me make sure everything is back together correctly later.




Dan came over last Sat afternoon and we spent the day checking the clearance of the oil pan to the frame with the transmission bolted to the bell housing.  Since the transmission crossmember previously fit tightly under the transmission mount with the engine in place, I wanted to make sure the oil pan would clear the frame with the transmission and crossmember in place.  The pan clears just fine and the timing cover/front mount clears the rack and pinion assembly.  Since the front mount isn't going to be used, I'm seriously considering removing the mount flange from the front plate.  I have an extra one I can modify with a cut off wheel.  After the engine/transmission were removed, we attempted to set the front end assembly back on the frame.  It was immediately apparent that the inner fenders are going to have to be cut in order to clear the top hats that bolt to the top of the Chassis Engineering crossmember.  Until now, I had been able to adhere to my goal of not cutting any part of the car. But there's no getting around this one without having custom inner fenders fabricated and that's not going to happen!  Once I accepted the fact that continuing with the idea of being able to return the car at some point to its restored state wasn't sensible, the conversation turned to other improvements that would require slight modification to the car.  The stock guages became a target for upgrade as well as the speedometer.  Matching the speedo driven gear to make the stock speedo accurate wasn't possible since the gears were no longer available.  So, yesterday I called Dolphin Gauges down in Florida and ordered their 5 gauge electronic package along with the 41 Chevy dash panel.  Everything will bolt in and provide new oil press, water temp, volts, and fuel gauges along with a programmable electronic speedo.  Pics to follow later this week.
     Last Friday, Dick, Dan and I had discussed the details of making a steering column to look like the original.  That too would be a tedious project and I had discovered the wiring in the old turn signal system was just as deteriorated as the rest of the 6 volt wires.  Abandoning the need to keep things looking original at all costs opened the door to consider a custom steering column and a new steering wheel.  A call to Ididit in Tecumseh, Mi., answered my questions on which parts to use and everying was ordered yesterday from Lane Automotive.  And....it was delivered via UPS today!  I ordered a tilt column which is ready for paint.  Lecarra makes a 2 spoke, old looking steering wheel with a chrome horn ring that comes ready for paint too.  I ordered those pieces yesterday. 
     Last Friday nite several of the Road Rodz club members met for some food and talk.  I mentioned my concern over how to replace the wiring that runs above the headliner in the 41 and Phil said he knew of a product to allow the wires to run across the floor and still be protected.  He emailed me the name on Saturday. It is called Gray Stuff from Ron Francis Wiring.  That got ordered yesterday along with the steering wheel from Summit Racing. 
     Yesterday, I also made a trip to the Napa paint store and had some satin black mixed up for the frame parts and some beige to match the old steering wheel and column.  At least I can keep things the same colors!  I finished the day yesterday by removing the rest of the dash parts that won't be used as well as the speedo cable.  The lower kick panels are removable and have plenty of room behind them for speaker installation.  Here's a couple pics of the interior all stripped out and the front of the car with very little left of the stock parts.

I had intended to ship the original radio out to California and have it retrofitted to maintain the front parts while integrating a new am/fm/mp3 input system.  However, with the new direction in mind, I decided to just purchase a retro style radio and speakers from Retro Sound USA.  Got those ordered today along with an adapter plate to allow proper fit in my dashboard. 
     I wire brushed the rust and scraped the crud off the frame yesterday.  Next step is washing it all down with mineral spirits followed by a wipe with lacquer thinner.  Some masking and protective covering on the car and I'll be ready for painting all the black parts.
     My wallet is a bit lighter since this project began but it'll all be worth it when the 41 is back on the show circuit next year.  The wife and I are really looking forward to being able to jump in the 41 any time we have a nice evening and go for a ride without fear of problems with the car.  The modernization direction is not only going to provide a more reliable vehicle but now I can sell off the original parts and recoup some funds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment