Friday, December 9, 2011

Prepping new IFS

Got the first stick-to-the-ground snowfall last nite and temps were below freezing all day.  Regardless, I fired up the garage heater and spent the afternoon working on the 41. Kinda comfy with the inside temp holding at 60º.   I had planned to finish cleaning the frame horns but I figured I might as well get the new crossmember and associated parts all installed and drill all the mounting holes.  No sense getting everything all painted and pretty and then scratch it all up by drilling and pounding parts in place.  Step one was to remove the brake and fuel lines from the car.  The were both still attached at the rear.  Then the new parts were bolted in again.
Since some of the drilling would have to be done from the bottom, I put the front end of the car up higher to allow access from underneath.  Here's a couple of pics from underneath showing all the holes that have to be drilled.


I was able to complete the drilling and assembly of the driver's side today.  Hopefully, the passenger side will be completed tomorrow.  Here's the driver's side with all the bolts installed. 


The new Dolphin gauges and mounting panels arrived yesterday and I was able to test fit them in the dash.  Seems the dash will need to be cut some to clear the end most gauges of the 4 in the panel.  Wasn't anticipating any cutting so I called Dolphin tech support for an answer.  First call, the tech said he would check with the machinist and asked me to call back today.  Did that and he still didn't have an answer.  He took my phone number an said he'd call me later with an answer.  Still haven't heard anything from him.  I'm considering returning the gauge panel and trying another vendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment