Friday, June 3, 2011

Parade pic & trans repair

Pulled the transmission out yesterday to troubleshoot the lack of 5th gear.  I had suspected that I missed a roll pin during assembly but that assumption was wrong.  The pin was in place.  However, the 5th gear driving gear that mounts on the end of the cluster gear had too much movement.  It had been hitting on the inner race of the rear case bearing causing the noise I had heard when trying to shift into 5th/OD.  I found differing info on a couple of manuals for the T5.  One showed a snap ring in front of the 5th driving gear and the other did not.  Mine has a grove for a snap ring that seemed to properly position the gear so I found one that would fit and added it.  Dry shifting the trans on the bench seems to work so I put it all back together and got it reinstalled in the 41.  Started getting late last nite so I'll finish the interior reassembly today.  Wife and I have an outing planned tonight with the 41 and I want to test drive it before then.

Here's a picture of the 41 in the Jenison Memorial Day Parade.  I had registered early hoping the car would be ready.  I still have things to do but she was parade worthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment