Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fixing the rear main seal leak

Did some research over the last week or so and found some pics on the web of a new solution for the leaking rear main seal on my 235.  Seems my 1953 and 54 engines are not machined in the seal groove to properly accept the neoprene seal I currently have installed.  That explains the leakage I'm experiencing.  Normally, that means a "rope" seal is the only alternative.  However, I found these pics on the H.A.M.B. forums and I like this idea a lot.



Rather than pull the current engine out of the 41 to make this modification, I've decided to build up the 54 short block and have it ready for installation this fall or winter.  I went to More Power yesterday and showed Dick the pics and he agrees that this looks like a great fix and is easily doable. We may have to farm out the machine work as his mill may not accept the heigth of the block.  I completely disassembled the 54 engine yesterday so the crankshaft could be sent out for grinding.  The mains are currently .010" under and the rods are .020" under.  So, step 1 is determining if we have a good crank. 
     The 54 engine was originally a solid lifter motor whle the 53 was a hydraulic.  I recently saw this quote on Patrick's Antique Car site:

"(**special note: there are, currently, no satisfactory aftermarket hydraulic lifters available. So, we suggest you install a solid-lifter cam/lifter combo,)"

Tom Langdon's site offers a solution for noisy hydraulic lifters that involves grinding a flat on the side of the lifter to allow air to escape.  Not sure I want to go thru all that hassle just so I can run a hydraulic cam in the 54 engine.  The solid lifter engines use a shorter pushrod and I'd like to reuse as many of the original parts as possible.  The 53 engine has a bit of lifter noise now on startup after the car has been sitting for a while.  I'm guessing the oil is being pushed out of the lifters by the valve spring pressure.  If so, that would validate the statement from Patrick's.  So, for those reasons, I'm going to use a solid lifter camshaft in the 54 motor.  Plus, the solid lifters are much cheaper than hydraulics!

     Talked to a sign painter this morning about touching up some of the trim paint on the car.  The Chevy emblem on the grill has no paint but the bow tie and the radio speaker grill I installed on the dash has little to no paint on the Chevrolet script across the top.  He suggested stopping by with the car so he can take a look.  Should have some time to do the job next week.
     The alignment pivot should be here today from Chevsofthe40s for the front end.  I'll make an appointment with Maksim's to get that part installed and get the front end properly aligned.  Might try installing the front springs I got and see how low the front end is with them and if I have steering clearance for the front tires.
     Received my parade credentials yesterday for the Grandville 4th of July parade.  Weather forecast is calling for a good day so that should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment