Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A little history

Just though I'd share this bit of history on the car.  When I removed the radio a while back, I noticed a phone number written on the bottom.  No area code; just the number.  I recognized the prefix (669) as a Hudsonville exchange and wondered if that was a good number and if anyone there remembered the 41.  I did a reverse lookup on the internet and found someone listed for that phone number and decided to give them a call.  I called twice last week and got an answering machine both times.  I didn't leave a message either time but called a third time on Sunday and this time I did leave a meassage.  I left my name and inidicated I had found their phone number on a radio in a 41 Chevy and asked them to call if they knew anything about the car or the radio. Well, last night I got a phone call from the guy and it turns out he is a former owner of the car!  He's lived in Hudsonville for the past 33 years and bought the car from an antique car dealer that used to be in business in the downtown area of Hudsonville.  He's not sure of the dates but thinks he had the car in the late 80's or early 90's and only had it for about two years.  The receipts that came with the car indicate the owner that Dennis bought it from had it as early as 1993.  Scott, the guy from Hudsonville, said he got it already restored and it was his first "extra" car.  He sold the 41 and bought a 55 2 door.  Scott said he was never a mechanic and he either paid to have things fixed on the 41 or his dad worked on the car.  The new looking master cylinder for the brakes is something he had installed.  And he remembers having the vacuum system for the shift assist fixed at one time too.  He only lives a few miles from me and I invited him to stop by and check out the car.  He inidicated he would like to do that.  Should be fun to reminisce

No comments:

Post a Comment