Friday, April 8, 2011

Solutions

The good news - I've figured out a way to not have to disassemble 2 engines and replace the front mount on the 235.  The bad news? - The 235 has to come out again!  Not really such a big deal since nothing has been added to the engine since we set it in the car.  The plan is to use a carbide grinding bit to lengthen the mounting holes on the 235 front mounting plate.  This should allow proper alignment of the bolts into the front motor mounts.  I installed the transmission and crossmember yesterday to check the fit and discovered the transmission extends too high through the floor to clear the cover.  Plus the mounting plate on the crossmember is too far forward for the T5 transmission mount.  Decided that was enought challenges for my brain to deciper so I walked away and came back this morning for another look. 

Came up with a plan for modifying the transmission cover/floor panel so I can still use that piece.  Talked to my brother, Chip, earlier today and he plans to stop over later today to look over the modification plan and see if my idea will work.  I'll also have him check out the transmission to crossmember mounting and see what we can come up with to provide a different mount there.  The only other item to be reworked will be the gas pedal.  The new Lokar pedal contacts the bell housing in it's current location.  May have to space it up a bit to provide clearance under the floor.  I ordered a driveshaft yoke for the T5 transmission today and now that I know how the transmission fits in the car, I can go ahead with assembly of the T5.  Also spoke with a couple of local, custom driveshaft makers this morning.   Once the trans yoke arrives, I'll be able to provide the necessary dimensions so the drive shaft can be made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment