Saturday, March 10, 2012

As Hannibal Smith often said..............

     "I love it when a plan comes together!"   That's how the last few days have progressed; the plans came together and things are looking good!  I stopped by More Power on Thursday and Dick made up a slightly longer water line to clear the steering u-joint.  It fits perfectly.  The line laying on the intake manifold was removed to allow access to the upper control arm bolts.

 
     Friday morning Dan and I made the return trip to LA Trim to pick up the '41.  Dale did some last minute finishing touches and we were loaded and rolling by 9:45.  The temp outside was 30 when we were loading the car on the trailer and the wind was blowing.  Made for some cold fingers!  The ride back home was uneventful.  Before we unloaded the car, Dan and I placed the front end sheet metal on a couple of saw horses so I would be able to make the cut outs in the inner fenders to clear the new suspension components, motor mounts and one brake line.  Later in the morning, UPS delivered my steering wheel.  Here's some pics of the finished carpet and the steering wheel temporarily bolted in place.  The wheel needs to be primered and painted before it can be permanently installed.





Here's the front end supported on saw horses and a couple shots of the inner fenders showing the marks for trimming.




     Tom from Maksims stopped over last night after work and brought his portable pressure bleeder for the brakes and the gauges necessary to ball park the front end alignment.  Some of my fittings were loose allowing some fluid leaks but once tightened, they all stopped leaking.  Thanks Tom!  The guy went out of his way on a Friday night so I could get the front end on the car this weekend. 
     Today, Saturday, I made a cardboard template of the cutouts and transferred the layout to the inner fenders.  Then I used a jig saw to cut the openings.


     Once the fender work was completed, I removed the battery box.  I shouldn't have installed it until after the front end was back on.  Next was the clutch linkage install.  Then the T-5 transmission was bench pressed back in place.  I had used 1/8" spacer plates between the bell housing and transmission last year to properly position the input shaft in the pilot bearing.  Rather than make a new one-piece spacer, I decided to just used the plates again.  They were bolted to the bell housing when the engine was reinstalled and held in place with silicone.  The transmission bolts held the spacers in place until the silicone dried and I removed the bolts today in order to install the transmission.  The transmission cross member was installed today too.
     Dan is coming over tomorrow afternoon and helping me reinstall the front end on the car.  Hopefully, the cut outs I made today will align properly and the front end will drop in place.  I need another plan to come together!  By the way, if you read this and don't remember Hannibal Smith, do some research about the TV show, The A Team.  George Peppard played John "Hannibal" Smith, the leader of The A Team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment