Sunday, March 4, 2012

Little by little

     Visible progress is a good thing.  Seems like you can spend a lot of time working on small, detailed things that don't show.  When you step back to admire your work, everything looks the same as it did when you started.  That's the way the last couple days have gone - that is until today.  Friday I was able to install clamps on the fuel line to fasten it firmly to the frame.  I added several clamps to the rear brake lines and a couple to the front lines too.  Plus, I drilled the frame and mounting bracket for the proportioning valve.  Then I went over all the brake line fittings and made sure every one was tight. 
     Saturday was interrupted by computer customers so I didn't get much done.  I was able to remove the master cylinder and bench bleed it before heading off to a dinner meeting with the Road Rodz. 
     The master cylinder went back in on Sunday and I decided to start the prep to get the engine reinstalled.  The stock valve cover went back on to prevent scratching or denting the chrome cover. Then the engine was removed from the engine stand and placed in the rolling cradle.  Next the bell housing, flywheel and clutch assembly were installed and the throw out bearing fork was snapped in place.  Since it was still kinda early, I decided to see if the engine would drop in as planned.   I tied back the fuel line with a piece of cord and gently slid the engine into place.  All four mounting points aligned perfectly and the bolts are all tightened.


     Notice the water line running from the rear of the intake manifold to the fitting behind the oil pressure sender is not on right now.  That water line has to go around the steering column and the Borgeson u-joint that attaches to the steering column is just a bit larger than the stock column.  The water line will fit but it rubs on the u-joint.  I'll talk to Dick at More Power and replace that line with one that's a bit longer. 
     The engine needed to be installed because I'll need the weight to allow the front springs to compress.   Tom from Maksims is tentatively planning to come over tomorrow night to bleed the brakes and do the preliminary front end alignment so the springs and shocks need to be installed tomorrow.  The '41 is scheduled for a trailer ride on Wednesday to get the new carpet installed at LA Trim. 
     I had originally thought I would have the car back on the road by the first of May but I'm reconsidering that date.  I've made good progress to this point.  Unless something happens to cause a setback or rework, I think she'll be back on the road before April 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment