Friday, March 23, 2012

Seems like one thing leads to another.

     Been a couple weeks since I sat down and updated the blog.  The week after the front end went on was spent catching up on household chores and taking care of computer repairs.  The weather turned unseasonably warm for this two week period too. The West Michigan area broke several temperature records on successive days.  I did manage to get back to work on the 41 this past week while the previous week did allow for some planning and parts ordering.  I had realized that most, if not all, of the grommets, gaskets and other rubber parts on the car were hardened and cracked.  Plus, the windshield leaked when we were caught in a rain storm last summer and the driver's glass has a small crack.  So, I placed an order with Chevsofthe40s.com for all new pieces.  Most of this stuff won't be noticeable to the average person but to true car people and mostly to me, the upgraded parts will certainly improve the appearance.  As an example, here's a new sill plate.



The old one was hard and cracked and had pieces broken out of it.
     I spent some time this past week working on the wiring harness installation.  The fuse panel is mounted and I went over all the wires to determine which ones won't be needed.  Those wires were removed.  I decided to wire the gauge panel on the bench and attach a 6 position quick connect to a pigtail.  This will make it easier to wire the panel as I won't be laying under the dash and it will be easier to service if I ever have to remove or repair a gauge or gauge wiring.  All the wires have now been run to the different areas and cut to approximate lengths.  I need to make up all the terminations now to finish the job.  As I mentioned in a previous entry, the stock wiring that feeds the rear of the car is run through the ceiling behind the head liner.  I chose to not disturb the head liner and decided to route the wires under the car along the frame on the driver's side.  After checking several options of what to use as wire conduit, I finally settled on 1/2", black, heater hose.  The six wires needed at the rear of the car fit snuggly in the hose without binding and the hose will provide a waterproof conduit from front to rear.  All the wiring needs sleeving installed for protection and a clean look.  Here's the wiring coming through the firewall grommet now.


 Here's a view of the hose under the car.  I still have to install clamps to keep it in place.



I drilled a 7/8" hole under the rear seat and the hose fits perfectly through the hole.  I then routed the wires under a clamp for the arm rest and thru a grommet I installed in the upper part of the trunk divider.  A properly positioned clamp will prevent the hose from slipping back through the floor and some silicone will seal the hose in the hole.



Part of prepping for the rewiring of the rear area was a thorough cleaning of the trunk and painting it with POR-15.


     Besides the wiring, I was also able to paint the back side of the new front wheels so they match the ones I ran last year.  Getting just the inside of the slots painted without getting any paint in the front chamferred area of the slots meant going over each opening with lacquer thinner on a rag and carefully cleaning the edges.

The center hubs I used on the old wheels fit perfectly and the new black chrome lug nuts finished the look nicely.  While the car has been on jack stands for the wiring work, I took time to check the pinion angle with a gauge and replaced the oil pan drain plug gasket.  Today, I retightened all the brake line fittings as a couple were showing slight leaks. 
     I don't like the look of the upper half of the firewall where all the stock wires and grommets were positioned.  Putting plugs in all the unused holes would look really tacky.  So, I spent some time trying to come up with a way to cover that area and still have a place for the cowl vent drain tube and the wiper vacuum hose.  Polished stainless would have looked trick but when I found out the price of a piece of stainless steel sheet, cut to my template, I quickly abandoned that idea.  My friend Paul had some 16 gauge aluminum sheets left over from a project and he gave me a 12 x 48" piece that will work perfectly. I need an 8"x40" piece to cover the firewall.  Haven't decided whether to polish, paint or powder coat the sheet.
     My steering wheel is being painted by a customer and friend who paints racing helmets.  He called tonight to let me know it is done and I can pick it up tomorrow.  I'm excited!  I also took the heater fan motor to Northwestern Auto Parts last week to see if they could find a 12v replacement.  Unfortunately, when I called today, I learned they can't find one either.  Back to the drawing board on that part.
     That about brings everyone reading this up to date on my progress.  I'll just keep picking away on all the detail work.

No comments:

Post a Comment