Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekend Update

With the engine compartment completed, I thought it might be a good idea to take a couple pics before the hood went on.



     Dan came over yesterday, Saturday, and helped me get the hood reinstalled.  I had some aligning to do later since the entire front end had been removed/reinstalled and a new gasket had been installed at the rear of the hood.  The exhaust pipe I had re-bent didn't do much for clearance from the ground.  I got the pipe and muffler installed but the pipe still hits on the ground.  I plan to take it back to Lentz tomorrow and get it bent again so I can drive the car there for a new exhaust system install on Tues.  While the exhaust was in place, I fired up the motor and made sure all was working correctly.  I was very pleased with the results!  All the gauges worked perfectly - fuel level seems correct, 14+ volts on the volt meter, 30 lbs of oil pressure at idle and the engine warmed up to 160° and stayed right there.  Couldn't help but smile!  I checked the timing with my timing light and monitored the rear main seal for any signs of leaks.  So far, so good - NO LEAKS!   The 6 volt, foot activated starter works like a champ on 12 volts; just like all the old timers said it would.  The engine start had occurred earlier in the week so once the hood was installed, I bolted on the bell housing pan and front shield.  That was the last bag of bolts remaining from all the tagged parts!
     I ran without the vacuum advance last year and didn't have any issues but several articles I've read seem to indicate these old 235 6's like the vacuum advance working.  So I installed the vacuum tube for the vacuum advance connecting the distributor to the carburetor today too.  We'll see what effect it has.        
      Almost forgot, I made a wooden floor panel for the trunk today.  I used some left over pieces of Luan flooring material and made a two piece floor cover.  This will eventually be covered with carpet material at LA Trim.  The floor covers the spare tire well and will allow for a clean, organized area to carry the EZ Up canopy, lounge chairs and cooler for car shows and outings.  I don't plan to carry a spare tire since the front wheels are 5 lug and the rears are 6 lug.   
     I'm hoping the coming week goes according to plan.  The replacement dash knobs and new head light rims should be here from Chevsofthe40s.com, the passenger windshield wiper should arrive, the exhaust system will be installed, I'll connect the light wire for the glove box light and get the wiper installed.  Then I can begin the removal of the old weather stripping around the doors and get the new pieces installed.  Still a few things to do but I'm hoping to be on the road by this coming Thursday. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment