Sunday, April 29, 2012

A good weekend

Friday was a beautiful day and I was able to make the rounds to visit my buddy Dennis that sold me the '41, the folks at More Power, did some shopping at Sam's Club and paid a visit to a shop that does high end restorations and was recommended by my friend Paul.  Jerry calls his business Paradise Motors and I had him take a look at the '41 to see about having some paint work done on the front of the car.  The headlight rims had been removed previously with a sharp tool (probably a screwdriver) and the dark green paint is badly chipped around the bottom of the rim.  Also, the area under both fender ornaments and the edge of the fenders where the hood lays have chips in the paint.  All total, I put about 50 miles on the car on Friday. 
     Saturday was rainy and cold so the 41 stayed in the garage.  When I did move it, however, I had the unpleasant surprise to find an oil puddle on the floor!  It appears the repair I attempted on the rear main seal was unsuccessful.  Now I'm in a quandary as to what to do next; build another short block using the '54 block I have or pull the engine, completely disassemble it and have the back of the block machined for a one piece seal. 
     The wife and I took the '41 to a family lunch gathering today and I used the GPS to check the speed on the speedometer.  Looks like the calibration went well as the two speeds match exactly.  We had a ball driving the car today.  It was sunny and in the 60's and people were waving and smiling at us everywhere we went.  Kinda nice to enjoy the new radio and listen to some old tunes while driving a 71 year old car!  Tomorrow morning I'm driving to Maksim's so Tom can finalize the front end alignment and recheck the brake system for leaks.  One final brake bleeding should make her totally road worthy.  Hopefully, the oil leak isn't coating the bottom of the car and making a mess!  I'll find out tomorrow when she's on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment