Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Keeping to the plan

As mentioned yesterday, the cleaned gas tank was ready for pick up at the Radiator Hospital today.  That was my first stop after firing up the garage heater.  When I got back, it was time to get after the rear end gear change.  I had bought a new axle puller a while back and this was my first opportunity to use it.  Another Chinese tool from Harbor Freight.  First thing I discovered was the Chinese didn't allow for 6 lug, 5.5" bolt patterns.  I had to grind two of opposing slots a little longer to match the bolt pattern.  The puller then did its job and easily removed the axles.  Took a while to scrape all the old gasket material off the housing but once that was done and the surface wiped with lacquer thinner, a new gasket coated with Copper Coat spray adhesive was installed.  The 3.36:1 center section was lifted into place and fell in nicely.  I had forgotten to order new bearing cover gaskets so reinstalling the axles will have to wait a couple days.  I wanted to check the rear fender clearances in case I decided to buy two more of the Ansen style wheels now on the front so I had four that match.  Since a 5 lug wheel won't fit too well on a 6 lug axle, I took this opportunity to install one of the axles from the '55 rear end I have as a spare.  The Ansen wheels have 1/2" more rear back spacing but I still have plenty of clearance between the tire and the frame.  So, having all four wheels the same is a definite possibility. 
     I had painted the top part of the gas tank before I began the rear end work and shot a couple coats of satin black on the bottom once I had finished.  While that paint was drying, I got out the box for the Dolphin gauges and started reading the installation procedure for the new gas tank sender.  Some measuring of tank depth, cutting of the sender support bracket and cutting and bending the float was all necessary to prep the new sending unit.  Once all those steps were completed, the unit slipped right in and matched the tank bolt pattern perfectly.  The tank was then slipped back in place and the retaining straps reinstalled.  Then the filler next extension was slid into place and the clamps tightened.  The fuel line and tank mounted filter still need to be installed in order to complete the fuel system. 
     While I was poking around in the Dolphin box, I came across the new water temp and oil pressure sending units.  Unlike the stock mechanical units, the new ones are electric.  Should make the engine compartment a bit neater being able to cleanly route a couple of wires instead of two kinked copper tubes.  Both sending units came with the proper adapters for my engine and slipped in easily.
     The old carpeting that came in the car is brittle and heavily worn in front.  Plus the front section has a hole for the stock throttle rod that is no longer used and roughly cut holes for the clutch and brake pedals as well as the steering column.  Dan and I are taking a drive to LA Trim tomorrow armed with the old carpet pieces and several pictures I took today.  Hopefully, Dale at LA Trim will be able to duplicate the carpet and make it a bit wider to fit the floor better.  He has already told me he would prefer to have the car at his shop but I'm gambling a bit.  Plus, Dan and I would like to see his shop.  I've seen examples of his work and it looked awesome.
     No pics today as this was all pretty routine stuff.  Plus, I didn't want to handle the camera with rear end lube on my hands!  Yuk!  Got a lot done this week but may not have much more time to work on the car until Sunday or Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment