Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pluggin' along

Today was my birthday and to celebrate, I spent the afternoon and part of the evening working in the garage!  My wife has a surprise planned for this weekend so spending time in the man cave was acceptable tonight.
     The Frost King insulation from Home Depot is now installed over the entire floor including under the rear seat.  I covered all the seams with foil tape.  I cut a new hole in the floor for master cylinder access and my brother welded some tabs on the ends to hold the cover plate in place. 



     I installed the new speakers in the front kick panels and reinstalled the kick panels along with the edge brackets and door edge brackets.


     The speaker wires are connected behind the panels and the excess is hanging in place until the radio is installed.  The area behind the rear seat that is a large rectangular opening to the trunk was open allowing the seat springs to be visible in the trunk.  I cut a large piece of cardboard to cover that opening and painted it black before reinstalling the rear seat bottom rack and the back of the rear seat.
     In order to properly cut out the opening for the steering column, I installed the rings for the Ididit column to the firewall.  As I was trimming the insulation from the hole, I noticed a piece of metal protruding into the column opening.  This would prevent the column from seating properly with the ball mount.  Quick work with the air grinder removed that tab. 
     The Radiator Hospital called today to let me know the gas tank is cleaned and tested.  There were some small pin holes in the top of the tank which were repaired along with the cleaning.  Word is, the tank came out very clean and is half the price of a new one.  Hopefully, it will stay clean and contaminant free.  I also called Scott Sign today for a status update on my gauge panel but Scott was out and will have to call me back.  The steering wheel is scheduled to ship in two days from Summit Racing and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be back ordered again! 
     I also spent some time determining the lengths of brake line I'll need for the front brakes.  I had some #14 electric motor quality bare copper wire in the drawer and decided to use that to make the brake line forms.  The copper is quite soft and easy to form into needed bends and it was easy enough to straighten out again to measure the length needed for each side.  Besides the master cylinder, adjustable proportioning valve and two residual valves that will have to be plumbed in the brake system, I realized the other day that I will also have to add a T fitting in order to add the pressure switch needed to activate the brake lights.  The stock system had the pressure switch screwed into an orifice on the master cylinder.  I plan to reuse that switch but I'll have to add the T fitting to provide connection to the brake system.  The brake system is fast becoming the most complicated part of this entire retrofit. 
     That's it for today.  Tomorrow I plan to pick up the gas tank and attack the rear of the car.  The new pig/center section gets installed, fuel line goes back on and the gas tank goes back in place.  And the copper wire will get used again to determine the rear brake lines.  More pics coming up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment