Sunday, February 5, 2012

More brakes and other stuff

Received the brake parts from Chassis Engineering last week.  The front, flexible lines that run from the brake calipers to brackets on the frame are braided stainless lines that come in a kit with fittings and hardware.  The brake calipers are from a 78-81 Camaro/Firebird.  I noticed the machining on the caliper that directs the ss brake line only allows for the cable running toward the front of the car.  The frame brackets are mounted behind the  wheels so this makes for a crazy bend in the line and could put the brake line in conflict with the coil springs.  Here's a pic of the caliper with the banjo bolt and cable mounted as designed.


I got out the trusty die grinder and removed some of the casing ridge on the opposite side of the cable.  The area marked in black is where material will be removed.


And here is the cable running toward the back of the car.


Here's the front end with the calipers painted and reinstalled with the new cables.


 Now that the steering linkage is all painted, here's a pic of the Borgeson u-joints and double D shafts.

 
     I dropped off the gas tank to the Radiator Hospital on Thursday.  Fella there said he thinks the crud on the inside is just old gas and rust residue that can be removed and cleaned.  If he's right, it'll save me buying a new tank which means I save $100+. 
     The exhaust system is now completely removed from the car.  It was blocking access to the frame area where I need to install the brake lines.  The pipe that crosses over the passenger side of the car will need to be rerouted so taking it off will make it easier to cut.  I also realized the master cylinder looked mighty close to the frame area where the adapter is mounted.  Figured I better test fit the transmission cross member with the master cylinder in place and it was a good thing I did!  The mc just hits on the cross member and prevents it from sliding into position.  Looks like I'm going to have to add a 1/8" space plate under the adapter to raise the entire system for clearance.  Better to go slow and notice these things now than have to take it all apart and rebend brake lines later.
     I received a return call from Jim at the Branson Auction regarding his knowledge of AA Classics in Nixa, Mo. Unfortunately, he did not know of that business.  A little more internet searching did reveal a "fictitious name" registered with the State of Missouri in 1986 for AA Classics.  The sole owner listed was James E. Taylor.  There are several people with that name around Nixa but none answered the phone when I called.   I'll make calls again soon to see if I can run down any info on the 41 having come from Missouri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment